Stress is an everyday part of life. It can be caused by anything from financial issues to relationship problems to daily life. It can cause physical aches, headaches, and even mental anguish. So, how do you reduce stress? Do you need to make a drastic lifestyle change? No, the answer isn’t as simple as that. The good news is that there are plenty of effective stress-reduction techniques that you can use to reduce stress on your own. So, if you’re looking for advice on how to reduce stress on your own, keep reading
Reiki is an interesting and unique practice that can be used to reduce stress. Here are four ways to reduce stress through reiki:
1. GROUND YOURSELF
If you often feel like your life is chaotic and out of control, practicing Reiki can help with grounding. By coming into contact with Earth’s energy, it will become easier for the chaos in our lives to subside as we grow more secure through connection
A regular practice brings me back down from my headspace so I’m able to focus on what needs done today and not worry about what could happen tomorrow.
When I am feeling lost, out of control, or just generally un-grounded, I like to do a quick and easy Reiki self-treatment. This treatment is simple but effective, and can be done anywhere.
1. Sit or stand with your feet firmly planted on the ground.
2. Place your hands on your lower abdomen, just below your navel.
3. Take a few deep breaths and visualize a white light entering your body through the crown of your head and filling your entire being.
4. Now, imagine that same white light grounding you to the Earth beneath your feet. This light will move up through your legs, torso, arms, head and finally end up back at your lower abdomen. This light will move up through your legs, torso, arms, head and finally end at the top of your head. As you do this, visualize any pain or discomfort being washed away from you by this light.
5. Finally, imagine the light emanating from your body and filling the entire room with its healing presence.
6. Take a few deep breaths and when you’re ready, open your eyes. You can do this visualization for as long as you like, but even just a few minutes will help you to feel more grounded and centered.
2. PRACTICE DEEP BREATHING
Breathing deeply is one of the most effective and immediate tools we can use to relieve stress and anxiety. The reason being is because our breath is linked directly to our nervous system, so when we breathe slowly and deeply we send a message to our brain to calm down and relax.
To practice deep breathing you can sit comfortably or lay down on your back. Begin by taking several long, slow breaths with your eyes closed. As you inhale, focus on the breath coming in through your nose and filling up your lungs, then exhale slowly through your mouth. You can either count 1-2-3 as you inhale and 1-2-3 as you exhale, or say a calming word like ‘calm’ or ‘relax’ in your mind as you exhale. Continue this focused breathing for 60 seconds or longer until you feel more relaxed.
3. MEDITATE DAILY
Meditating on a regular basis is one of the best things you can do to reduce your stress levels. Reiki meditation, in particular, is a great way to relax your body, mind and spirit. Unlike other forms of meditation that require a lot of concentration and training, Reiki meditation is easy to learn and practice. All you need to do is sit comfortably in an upright position with your hands placed lightly on your knees. Assume a relaxed posture and focus on your breath as you inhale and exhale. As you do this, mentally repeat the word “peace” (or any other word that has positive connotations for you). This simple exercise can help melt away stress and restore harmony in life.
4. BE IN THE PRESENT MOMENT
Dealing with stress can cause you to spend too much time thinking about either what you need to do or what has happened. Reiki teaches you to be in the present moment, so instead of worrying, you are calm and aware of what is going on right now. The present moment is the only time you can change things. When you focus on the past or future, it’s easy to get overwhelmed. Staying in the present helps you stay focused and clear-headed so you can deal with whatever comes your way.
These are just a few of the ways you can reduce stress with Reiki. If you’re looking for more, consider finding a Reiki practitioner in your area and scheduling regular sessions. Not only will you feel better after each session, but over time you may find that your stress levels have decreased overall. How do you reduce stress in your life? What works best for you? Share your tips in the comments below!